Find out more on Lisa’s New Play Exchange Page
June Cleveland thinks creating sitcom scenes from different decades with her husband Jim is a fun way to pass the time in the small town of Wheatland Colorado. But when Millie, the very fertile school secretary, proclaims that women in Wheatland are only fertile in their twenties, June becomes desperate to become pregnant before her impending thirtieth birthday. Meanwhile, Jim grows wary of June’s new obsession with a 1950’s TV reality and the increasingly bizarre fertility treatments prescribed by Millie’s herbalist. To regain Jim’s affections and prove her ability to be an ideal wife and mother, June decides to win a local beauty pageant. But problems arise when the friends June has enlisted for help, Barb and Vivian, each have their own agenda for the pageant. Vivian is on a quest to regain her preacher husband’s affections by looking hot for Jesus, and Barb wants to use the pageant as a feminist protest. Then June discovers that Jim likes to bake wearing heels. 1950’s sitcom fantasies, small town reality and gender norms collide in this raucous comedy about a quest for certainty in an ever-changing world.
- Broadway World: The Lulubird Project Presents THE MRS. WHEATLAND PAGEANT At Theater 29
- “1950's sittcom fantasies, small town beauty pageants, strange fertility regimens, and gender norms collide in this rollicking comedy.”
- Westword: The 21 Best Events in Denver
- “While The Mrs. Wheatland Pageant may not have all the pomp and circumstance of the Miss America Pageant, this new play by Lisa Wagner Erickson, opening Thursday February 28, at Theater 29, Promises to run away with the Miss Congeniality award. Presented by the Lulubird Project and Directed by Hart DeRose, the world premiere will mix sitcom nostalgia, small-town reality and gender norms.”
- Semi-Finalist, New American Voices, Landing Theatre, 2015
- Semi-Finalist, PlayPenn New Play Development Conference, 2013
- No Strings Theatre Company, Las Cruces, NM. Septemeber 2019
- Lulubird Project at Theater 29, Denver, CO, March 2019
- Workshop, Edge Theatre’s On Your Feet Development Series, Lakewood, CO. 2015-2016
- Staged Reading, Rough Draught Playwrights Staged Reading Series, Denver, CO. 2013
- Staged Reading, Lesley University’s Marran Theater, Cambridge, MA. 2012
Jon and Anna Ablesoncroft are striving to become part of the 1% of the 1%.. Brianna (their daughter) is attending community college behind her wealthy parents' backs. She revels in her new identity as working-class student. As Brianna struggles to maintain her working-class persona, she is forced to face her lies, the ties to her family, and the fact that she may not be a good person.
- Table Reading, Lulubird Project, Denver, CO. 2018
There has been an alleged sexual assault. The head of the newly formed Title IX Emergency Response Team is intent on following university policies and procedures . . . But the policies and procedures are becoming increasingly bizarre.
- Advanced Dramatic Writing Workshop, Lighthouse Writers juried workshop with Halley Feiffer at Litfest, Denver, CO, 2018
*Play in development
A woman decides to end a strange S&M-type relationship with her scale. The scale has other ideas.
- BOSTON GLOBE: Don’t miss the curtain riser, “Step On Me,” a hilarious short play by Lisa Wagner Erickson that toys with one woman’s obsession with her bathroom scale.“ -Terry Byrne
- Semi-Finalist, Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival 10-Minute Play Award, 2013
- Sickball Productions, Boston, MA. 2014
- Production, Saint Mary’s College, Moraga, CA. 2013
- Staged Reading, EstroGenius Extended, Manhattan Theater Source, New York, NY. 2013
- Staged Reading, Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, Sacramento, CA. 2013
- Staged Reading, Lesley University, Cambridge, MA. 2012
A gnome and two hipsters enter into strange negotiations.
- Lulubird Project at Theater 29, Denver, CO. 2019
- Play Crawl, And Toto too Theatre Company, Denver, CO. 2019
Ben offers Willow the feature role in his independent film. Willow is thrilled, but then Ben’s demands become increasingly bizarre.
- DIRTYFISH Theater, Denver, CO. 2016
- Playcrawl, And Toto too Theatre, Denver, CO. 2015
- Questionable Theatrics, Denver CO. 2019
Additional Short Plays: We’re Perfect For Each Other, Unframed (And Toto too Theatre Company), But I’m A Witch (semi-finalist: 10 x 10 In The Triangle Play Festival), Ed’s Dead (reading: Denver Heat)